Saturday, September 22, 2007

Dogsearcher

I seem to spend a ridiculous amount of time checking out lost dogs' homes websites looking for a dog. I'm not all that fussy, but I would like a dog that is not too young, not too big, not too hairy, not too active, not too vocal, can cope with his or her own company during the day and can win over my husband's approval.

Not too much to ask? I think not. The hardest point is the last one.

My husband really doesn't want a dog. "I don't want a dog in the house" he says.

"No, of course not dear" I say - all the while thinking "but he can come inside in the back of the house for while each day and sit with us while watching the telly. And perhaps we can even have his basket inside so he doesn't get cold".

My two kids (teenager and twentysomething) and I have been working on getting this dog for years. They say they'll be well and truly over getting a dog by the time we actually get one. Maybe so.

My husband is not silly. We have taken years to renovate our house. Our backyard is not secure enough for a dog. Six months ago I insisted we do something about the side gates. So he built a side gate. "Look love, I have built a side gate" he said. "That's wonderful dear" I replied "Now it just needs a latch and lock". He has painted the gate and it swings beautifully but, alas, no lock is yet in place. The gate cannot yet be secured. On the other side of the house is the driveway with an even bigger gate. That gate worked once upon a time, but it doesn't work properly now. I think I may have to get a gate man in to look at it. My husband says "Why fix that gate when I think I want to move it further down the driveway?" No, he's not silly. He knows all these little hurdles are postponing the dog aquisition.
I have said "We are never going to get a dog".
"Yes we will" he says. But he is probably thinking "heh, heh, heh, no we won't!"

He comes up with excuses like:
a. "What do you do when we want to go away on holiday?"
b. "There's no-one home during the day"
c. "Who's going to walk it?"
d. "Who's going to look after it?"
e. "I know you will want to have it in the house and I don't want a dog in the house because they smell and leave hair all over the place!"

Our reassurances of exceptional dog care are not particularly well heeded.

No comments: